Wednesday, September 2, 2020

My "type"

I've never thought long and hard about the type of girl I am,

But at the budding age of 23 it somehow almost feels like I've been them all.


The do-anything-to-get-the-guy type or the 

run-away-from-my-problems-into-a-boys'-bed-type or the 

I-think-my-boyfriend's-toxic-parents-are-less-toxic-just-because-they're-rich-type, 


but don't forget the

I'll-sacrifice-my-dignity-and-friendships-to-make-this-poisonous-relationship-last type or the 

I'll-pretend-to-like-sports-so-you-take-me-to-concerts-sometimes type or the 

I-swear-I'd-never-become-dependent-but-here-I-am-dating-you-so-I-can-use-your-car type


and last but not least at all, the

This-boy-said-he-wants-to-marry-me-so-I'll-believe-him-type or the

Love-defies-all-cultural-bounds-even-ones-that-threaten-world-war-III-type or the

We-never-got-back-together-but-I'll-still-fly-across-the-country-to-make-sure-you're-okay type


And isn't this type of girl tragically predictable after reading these descriptions? 

That this type of girl is doomed to write poems that chug on a little red cart up a mountain, 

    Just to find time and time again that the abandoned mine is empty,

        licked clean with not even salt remaining to sterilize these sores,

            cast away, racing down the ridge, over the pass, blood dried and sores scared by the thin but 

            strong gusts...yes, these are the poems that this girl is doomed to write.

For someone who is so bitter about love, I write some damn good poems about it. 

The bitter-ex-lover who-writes-poems-about-love...that's the type of girl I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment